Valentine’s Day is just around the corner, and what better way to express love than by including Mother Earth in your plans? Here are our Top 5 easy ways to embrace sustainability on Valentine’s Day.
- Chocolates–If this year you’re going to “Say it with Chocolate”, why not make it extra thoughtful by selecting Fair Trade chocolates. What is fair trade, you ask? Fair Trade is a model of business that puts people and planet before profit. Most grocery stores carry at least one Fair Trade brand, and of course there are many choices online as well.
- Jewelry–Everyone loves a little sparkle, and if that’s in your plans this year, a great sustainable option is to give beautiful vintage or estate pieces. By giving vintage, you completely eliminate any and all waste that might have come from manufacture of new products. Additionally, it’s usually easier on your wallet. But one of the greatest benefits of vintage pieces is that you’re nearly certain to give a gift that no one else is giving or receiving this year–it will be a unique item as well as a unique expression of your love.
- Gifts–An easy way to sidestep excess packaging and carbon footprint is to give experiences, like a massage or a hike. It’s also a great way to spend time together!
- Keep it Local–For things like flowers and dinner, the easiest way to keep it sustainable is to keep it local. Choosing small farmers and growers encourages local business, uses fewer pesticides, and reduces processing and transportation costs. Farm-to-table restaurants are quickly becoming one of the hottest trends!
- Our most romantic idea of all–cook dinner for two together. Visit a local farmer’s market for fresh ingredients you both love, and try a new recipe or an old favorite. Be sure to use real china and flatware, not disposable products. Remember, with rentals we do the dishes and laundry, all you have to do is return the items to us! You can rent a special cozy table and chairs for two, as well as a just one tablecloth and two napkins in your favorite colors, to make your evening a beautiful night to remember!